MÄRZGEFALLENENDENKMAL WEIMAR © 2009 Claus Bach DANE Landschaftsarchitekten

MÄRZGEFALLENENDENKMAL WEIMAR © 2009 Claus Bach DANE Landschaftsarchitekten

The March Fallen Monument is, along with the House Am Horn, the only built testimony to the Bauhaus in
Weimar. It is one of the most important "icons" of modern architecture.
The March Fallen Monument is protected in its evolved state, whose history
has been politically shaped three times.
After a competition and subsequent two-year eventful planning phase, the March Fallen Monument was completed in 1922. The monument was designed by Walter Gropius. Under the Nazis, the structure, which was defamed as "degenerate art", was removed down to the actual grave sites, and a fountain was added to the square. After the end of the war, the company that had dismantled the monument had to rebuild the tall structure, which is remotely reminiscent of a lightning bolt. The design of the surrounding area, which was carried out under monument preservation aspects, takes into account all phases of planning and redesigning and gives the viewer the opportunity to form his or her own picture of the history. The redesign was preceded by a great deal of extensive research, one of the results of which was proof that Gropius had only been awarded second prize. However, his design was carried out for reasons of cost. In addition, the 1st prize winner (Josef Heise) and the 3rd prize winner (Carl Fieger) could be determined.

Brief introduction Walter Gropius
(excerpt from wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gropius)

Walter Gropius (* May 18, 1883 in Berlin; † July 5, 1969 in Boston, Massachusetts; full name: Walter Adolf Georg Gropius) was a German (since 1944 US) architect and founder of the Bauhaus. Along with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier, he is considered a co-founder of modern architecture.
In 1903 Gropius began studying architecture at the Technical University of Munich, which he continued from 1906 at the Technical University of Charlottenburg, but dropped out in 1908 without a diploma.[3] That same year he joined the office of Peter Behrens, where other architects who would later become famous had worked alongside him, including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier. After working for Behrens for two years, Gropius became an independent industrial designer and architect in 1910. As a form designer, he designed interiors, wallpaper, mass-produced furniture, car bodies and a diesel locomotive. His first important architectural work was the Fagus factory in Alfeld an der Leine, which he built together with Adolf Meyer. With its steel and glass architecture, this factory building is regarded as a trend-setting work of what was later called "modern architecture", which became a general term in the 1920s under the designation "Neues Bauen" or "Neue Sachlichkeit". The Fagus factory was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in June 2011.
After World War I, Gropius became the founder of the Bauhaus: he was appointed director of the Grand Ducal Saxon College of Fine Arts in Weimar (Thuringia) in 1919 at the suggestion of Henry van de Velde as his successor, and gave the new school the name "State Bauhaus in Weimar". Gropius held the post of director (first in Weimar until 1926 and then in Dessau). He was succeeded in 1928 by the Swiss architect Hannes Meyer, who left in 1930 and moved to the Soviet Union for the next six years. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe led the Bauhaus until its closure in 1933.
In 1934, after attacks by the National Socialists on the Bauhaus as the "Church of Marxism", Gropius emigrated to England and in 1937 continued to the USA to Cambridge, where he was a professor of architecture at the "Graduate School of Design" at Harvard University.

Read more +

Planning offices

DANE Landschaftsarchitekten

Restaurator Benito Sellin

Fachplaner: Benito Sellin, Restaurator

Project period
1998 - 1999

1000 qm

Stadt Weimar

Historischer Friedhof der Stadt Weimar, Berkaer Straße/Am Poseckschen Garten
99423 Weimar

Show project location on map